An official with the United Nations said, the attack on Saturday, the deadliest single assault on humanitarian staff in a three-year-old civil war, could amount to a war crime.
As at the time of filing this report, no side has taken responsibility for the attack on the six, who were ambushed as they travelled from the capital Juba towards the town of Pibor through remote territory largely under government control but fought over by both sides and plagued by militia and other armed groups.
“The six were ambushed and murdered by unknown gunmen,” the Kenyan foreign affairs ministry said in a statement.
The six were working for a local NGO called GREDO, the ministry said, and had been funded by UNICEF to build youth centres in Pibor.
The Kenyan government said it was working with both organisations and South Sudanese security personnel to retrieve the bodies.