Three explosions hit the bus of German football team Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night ahead of its first leg UEFA Champions League quarterfinal match against AS Monaco, injuring one player, according to local police.
At around 19:00 local time, in the Hoechsten district of Dortmund, shortly after the departure of the team’s bus from the hotel to the stadium, Signal Iduna Park, for the match, three explosions went off near the bus, shattering several windows.
Police said the bus was the intended target of the attack, in which 26-year-old Spanish defender Marc Bartra was injured. Bartra underwent surgery on the same night for a broken right wrist and all the players on the team were very shocked, according to a spokesman for the football club.
So far, no indications show that the three explosions were a terrorist attack, according to the police.
The police said on social media that it was an attack with “serious explosive devices” that could have been placed in a hedge near a car park.
The match was postponed until Wednesday and all stadium tours for that day will also be canceled due to a further investigation, said the club.
The leader of Germany’s Social Democratic Party (SPD), Martin Schulz, said on his Twitter account that he was shocked by the attack.