The Federal Government has confirmed that 110 pupils of the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are still unaccounted for after Boko Haram terrorists invaded their school on Monday last week.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said this in a statement on Sunday by his Special Adviser, Segun Adeyemi.
According to the statement, Mohammed announced the figure after a meeting between a Federal Government delegation and representatives of key stakeholders in Damaturu, Yobe State capital, on Sunday.
The stakeholders included the state government, the college authorities, parents, security agencies and the Bursari Local Government Area, where Dapchi is situated.
Mohammed said, based on briefings from the principal of the college, Hajia Adama Abdulkarim, and the state Commissioner for Education, Mr. Mohammed Lamin, 906 pupils — out of whom 110 had not been accounted for — were in the school on the day of the attack.
The minister said the Federal Government had stepped up efforts to find the girls and return them safely to their parents.
He said, “This is the second time in four days that a Federal Government delegation will visit Yobe State since the incident.
“This is a measure of the seriousness with which we are addressing the issue. The security forces are leaving no stone unturned in their search for the girls.”
The Minister of Interior, Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd.), said the delegation embarked on the trip in order to get the facts right “so that the approach to the solution can be correct.’’
“We must get back the girls and also ensure that this does not happen again,’’ he added.